All potential students enrolling in the Monroe County Schools shall receive full status as a student when the following requirements are fulfilled.
Proof of Authorized Person to Enroll
The following persons are authorized to enroll students:
- Parent (natural or adoptive)
- Court-Appointed guardian
- Foster parent appointed by a state agency
- If you are not the biological or adoptive parent of the student you are enrolling, then you must show proof that you are authorized to enroll the student. Monroe County Schools only accepts court-appointed guardianship documentation.
- If you are divorced from the student’s other parent, we must have a copy of the custody portion of your final decree.
- Sponsor for approved International Exchange Program
- To enroll in Monroe County Schools, the student’s parent or legal guardian and the student must be full-time residents of Monroe County.
The following documents must be provided and filed prior to enrollment in the school:
- Original Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Ear-Eye-Dental Form (Form 3300)
- Georgia Immunization Form (Form 3231)
- Copy of Withdrawal Form from previous school
- Copy of Transcript
- Discipline Records
- Attendance Records
- Standardized Test Scores
Monroe County Schools requires THREE specific Proof of Residency documents, and all three forms must be provided at the time of enrollment or enrollment will not be finalized.
ONE of the following must be presented at the time of enrollment:
- Enrolling parent or guardian’s driver’s license showing the same residence information as provided on the other proofs of residency. This will be presented and copied by Monroe County Schools’ personnel.
- Valid enrolling parent or guardian passport showing the same residence information as provided on the other proofs of residency. This will be presented and copied by Monroe County Schools’ personnel.
- Military ID or other valid government issued picture identification showing the same residence information as provided on the other proofs of residency. This will be presented and copied by Monroe County Schools’ personnel.
NOTE: Documents presented for residency verification must include the same address as the accompanying utility bill.
TWO proofs of residency from the list below:
- Electricity Bill showing the name and address of the enrolling parent/guardian.
- Gas Bill showing the name and address of the enrolling parent/guardian.
- Water Bill showing the name and address of the enrolling parent/guardian.
- Mortgage statement showing recent payment.
- Current sales agreement for residential property erected and verified by the Tax Records of Monroe County, Georgia.
- If property has closed within the last three (3) months, the signed closing settlement statements will suffice.
- A non-contingent sales contract for property is NOT acceptable.
- LeaseCurrent Homeowner’s Insurance Policy with policyholder information matching enrolling parent/guardian ID address information.Building Permits - Families who have a building permit AND are actively constructing a home will be allowed to enroll their children in Monroe County Schools. Construction must be substantially complete within one calendar year or the children will be withdrawn.
- No month-to-month leases accepted.
- Lease must list all persons living in the home – including the student(s) to be enrolled.
- Lease or rental agreement with term dates and listing of all occupants.
- Landlord’s signature must be on the lease.
Note: Actively constructing means there is actual construction – foundation in place, framing, etc. A building permit with no construction will not be acceptable. A proposed starting date is not acceptable. Building permits requirements have been in place since 02/01/1994.
The following are NOT acceptable.
- Cable Bill
- Satellite Bill
- Phone Bill (land or cell)
- Non-Contingent Sales Contract for Property in Monroe County, Georgia
- Month-to-month lease
Homeless students, under the provisions of the McKinney-Vento Act, will be enrolled at the time of enrollment regardless of home status. Documentation will be collected so that the student may participate in the school while seeking to establish true residency as defined by the McKinney-Vento Act.
All enrollees will be required to sign an Affidavit of Residency, which can and will be used in a court of law should we find that the information you used to enroll your child was falsely given.
Monroe County Schools reserves the right to deny enrollment if possible falsification of information has taken place or that the student does not reside at the residence stated in the registration paperwork. Monroe County Schools reserves the right to check home occupancy status prior to full enrollment in the Monroe County Schools. Multiple home visits may be made if residency cannot be confirmed to the Monroe County Schools’ satisfaction. Should the district suspect, or receive information that you do not live where you stated, the district has the right to request further documentation at any time during the child’s enrollment so that the enrolling parent/guardian must establish and prove residency.
If you have any questions, please contact Cindy Seymour, System Registrar, at 478-994-2031 ext. 1037 or by email at email@example.com